Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Southside Lions Park

My first fishing hole and one of my favorites so far (due to ease) is South Side lions Park. This is a perfect beginners fishing area where bank access is easy and family friendly. This lake is located within city limits making it a community lake, so check TPWD website or handbook for bag limits as they are different. The lake is small and only bank fishing is allowed. Texas Parks and Wildlife stock the lake with catfish every 2 weeks which is why I say its perfect for the beginner because your very likely to catch something out there. Fish in the pond include catfish, sunfish, carp, and bass. Catfish being the most abundant and the bass being the least abundant. Deciding what fish your going after will decide what kind of bait I would recommend. The Catfish seem to love hotdogs out there, I've tried everything from chicken livers to stink baits to live crawfish, but hotdogs seem to work the best. The hotdogs will also get you hooked up on some carp and occasionally a sunfish. If you plan to target sunfish and bass though, I would go with good ol' worms. And if you wanna target carp I'd stick to the norm of corn. Catfish is my favorite to go after though. You can limit at 5 in a hour or two and go home and have yourself a nice dinner. As far as rigs go... I've had the best luck with a drop shot rig but I've pulled a few fish out on a Slip Sinker Rig. I think the trick is to not get too fancy out there. Don't over think fishing. There is not really any sweet spot here on this lake so just go out there put a line in the water and enjoy the outdoors. Heres some pics of some fish out there.

Heres my first 5 fish out of the lake, one of which is still my personal best cat at 17.5"

Sorry for the blurry pic but this was from a day me and my father went out and brought home our limits.

Heres one of the Carp my pregnant girlfriend pulled out of the lake. Them carp definitely put up a hell of a fight. So much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment